Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thoughts on the Stanley Cup Series

I did a little bit of my journalistic duty, but now it's open editorial time.

I think it is great that two of the original six teams have made it to the final this year, especially since it is their first time meeting to fight for the Cup.  Two of the the greatest sports cities in the U.S. are going head to head and I couldn't be happier, especially since one of those teams is my home town Boston Bruins.

Anyway, here are some things I think we should be looking out for. First off the goal tending.

Chicago's, Corey Crawford has been lights out posting a 1.74 goals against average which is only0.01 better then Boston's tender, Rask who only gave up 2 goals to the high scoring Pittsburgh Penguins.

Both of these goal tenders sat by and watched their teams win Stanley Cups. The Hawks in 2010 and the Bruins the next year.

The Blackhawks will really need to try and shut down Bruin's center David Krecji who leads the team in goals and assists. Krejci really steps up his game in the playoffs much like his goaltender.

Both teams have something to be proud of when it comes to penalty kills the Hawks have stopped 94.7% of their opponents power plays, and the Bruins have stopped 86.5%.  So it will be interesting to see if either teams power play can be effective.

Both teams are tough, but in my opinion the Bruins have the edge. The Bruins will get off more shots, and I think Tuukka will make more of the big saves then Crawford will.

What has been killing the teams that have played the Bruins is that no one can compete with the depth that the team has. I have seen the Bruins fourth line skate with the first line of the Penguins, if Shawn Thorton and Danny Paille can skate with Crosby, then there isn't much they can't handle.

I'm taking the Bruins in six games in this original six match up.




No comments:

Post a Comment